Turkey launched the first Ukrainian corvette built for the Armed Forces of Ukraine
The first lady of Ukraine Elena Zelenskaya took part in the solemn descent.
The corvette was named "Hetman Ivan Mazepa". It is the first one ordered for the Ukrainian armed forces and built in Turkey.
The vessel belongs to the Ada series and was laid down last year. This is a ship with a length of 99.5 m and a displacement of 2400 tons, armed with torpedo tubes, anti-ship missiles, an anti-aircraft missile system, as well as a cannon and machine guns. The agency Ukrinform reported.
Before the war, it was planned that the corvette from Turkey would be delivered to Ukraine, where it would continue to be completed until 2024. However, due to the war, delivery to the customer was delayed.
The ceremony was attended by the wife of the President of Ukraine Elena Zelenskaya, as well as the commander of the Turkish Navy and the corvette team led by the captain.
Corvette "Hetman Ivan Mazepa", today I'm launching you. I wish you good luck and success for my country and for my people. I wish you to carry the Ukrainian flag with honor. Fair wind, calm sea and only victory! Always remember your Turkish homeland and bring glory to Ukraine! - said the first lady of Ukraine at the ceremony.
In 2023, another Ada-type corvette for the Ukrainian Navy will be laid down in Turkey.
- Ukrainian army explains to occupiers how to surrender
- AFU command warns of possible Russian provocations at Belarusian nuclear power plants
- The FT explains what is behind Ukraine's success on the battlefield
- Defence Ministry predicts timeline for Crimea's liberation
- Number of deaths of foreign volunteers fighting for Ukraine revealed
- CIA Director meets with Russian counterpart in Turkey