The island is small but continues to grow.
A new island arose in the southwestern Pacific Ocean. It is located on the Home Reef seamount in the central islands of Tonga. The Byte writes about it.
One of the underwater volcanoes woke up in this place on September 10, throwing out lava, steam and ash. 11 hours after the volcano began to erupt, a new island appeared above the surface of the water, the report said.
NASA photographed the new earth using satellites.
Researchers from the Geological Survey of Tonga noted that the island is growing rapidly. On September 14, he occupied only 4 thousand square meters. m, but by September 20, its size increased to 24 thousand square meters. m.
The place where the island originated is distinguished by the highest activity of underwater volcanoes in the world.
Tonga is a Polynesian kingdom in the South Pacific with over 170 islands, many of which are uninhabited.
- UN: the world population has reached 8 billion people
- Russia proposes to give land to those who fought in Ukraine in the Crimea and near Moscow
- New home: how the cat lives now, survived the occupation of the Snake
- Scientists have named the date of the end of the world
- The inhabitants of the Earth began to live in debt