Former European Commission president believes Ukraine is still a long way from joining the EU
Ukraine has gained EU candidate status in record time.
Former European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker believes that Ukraine has little chance to join the EU quickly. He said this in an interview with Luxemburger Wort.
He also noted that the opposite point of view looks more like illusions. At the same time, he praised the fact that the country quickly gained the EU candidate status.
I think that Ukraine needs the prospect of joining. But I am very disappointed with the imprudence of many politicians, including in the West, who want Ukraine to join the EU as soon as possible. I do not see that," Juncker said.
Speaking about the war and Russia, he condemned the Kremlin's actions and stressed that Moscow has no right to dictate its terms on foreign territory.
Under no circumstances should the Kremlin dictate peace in Ukraine. Freedom is the highest value," he said.
Also, Jean-Claude Juncker said that he had always sought dialogue with Russia, but now he did not see such a prospect.
We would like to add that the European Commission's first informal assessment of Ukraine's progress in meeting the "candidate criteria" on its way to the EU will be made in May 2023.
- China admits possible conversation between Xi Jinping and Vladimir Zelenski
- Lukashenko threatens Ukraine and fears NATO will invade Belarus
- Japan has imposed new sanctions against Russia. Focus on technology
- How many people have applied to join the Offensive Guard
- Ukraine to boycott sports competitions in which Russia participates
- Prisoner's confession: spreading petal mines in residential areas of Donetsk for the purpose of provocation